Financing your study abroad trip can seem like a daunting task. It doesn’t have to be, though. Fundraising is a great way to help finance your trip. By following these steps to fundraise, you can raise money and be one step closer to your dream study abroad trip!
Steps to Follow When Fundraising
- Draft a proposal. Discuss your study abroad plans, the reason you need financing, what you hope to accomplish while overseas and how that will contribute to your career goals. Then, prepare a written and/or oral presentation:
· What you’re going to say to potential financial backers.
· Practice your presentation so you appear prepared and polished.
· If you are targeting different audiences, adjust your proposals appropriately.
- Compile your target list. Look through your local phone book and compose a list of local businesses, organizations or community groups that may be willing to contribute to your study abroad fund.
· Contact the people on your list – explain what you’re doing and request a meeting. At the meeting, give your presentation.
· Offer them something in exchange – for example, offer to hold a presentation upon your return. Some travel companies may be in need of photos that you can provide for a fee, or descriptions or some sort of local landmark or event.
- If you are in college and have a study abroad advisor... meet with them! This list is a great place to get started, but you’ll also want to take advantage of the years of experience your study abroad advisor has with helping students. He or she may have great ideas that have simply never crossed your mind.
- Start saving NOW. Forgo the movies; watch TV instead. Don’t go clubbing; a quiet night in will save you cash that will contribute to your study abroad fund. Be frugal, and save every penny you can.
- Be very creative. Take extra shifts at your job. Look for local fairs, and buy a table—do face painting for a small fee. Save, save, save. You’ll thank us (and yourself) later!
You can succeed with fundraising as long as you keep some things in mind:
- Rejection is all part of the game. Don’t let it get you down. If one thing doesn’t work, try another.
tell people why you’re raising funds.
- Be creative!
- Show your appreciation – even a postcard from abroad with a small thank you to those who helped you will be a welcomed gesture.
If you would like to read more about fundraising and financing your study abroad trip in general, download our free e-report, Financing Study Abroad here.